Review: Expandable Habitats Cage
April 21, 2011 § 4 Comments
Lola’s new cage finally arrived and was set up in December of 2010!! It was custom built by a company called Expandable Habitats, who make 100% American-made, 304 medical grade, non-magnetic stainless steel cages. I have done a massive amount of research into cages and have chosen them based on (1) country of origin [I did not want a cage made in China or Mexico], (2) reputation and references [I spoke to MANY people with EH cages and made sure they had rave reviews], (3) custom options, and (4) quality, safety, and warranty. When I originally found Expandable Habitats, I wasn’t thrilled with the look of their cages as they are not quite the most aesthetically pleasing cages on the market. But after speaking with the company and several of its happy customers, I realized that they are not about making furniture-quality or beautiful cages, they are about making safe and durable cages that are fit for parrots and their needs. I had very high expectations for my cage and they did not disappoint!
The details of the cage are as follows:
- Interior dimensions of 42″ wide by 24″ deep by 36″ tall
- Exterior dimensions of 43″ wide by 27″ deep by 60″ tall
- Large front door with one 12 x 12″ door on each side of the cage
- Heavy duty casters for rolling over carpets
- A flat top with a frame on top of the cage with a piece of acrylic that slides into it (so that I can put hanging play gyms above and not worry about the interior being soiled but still allowing light to pass through, as well as to protect little budgie toes that might land atop Lola’s cage)
- Slide out grate and tray
- Shelf below the cage
I am so pleased with it, and Lola is LOVING it. She is so active and curious in it. It is really a beautiful cage with very clean lines and a streamlined, minimalistic look. At first this put me off of the cages, but I have grown to love it. The stainless steel is very high quality, and there is a lot of attention to detail here. Having had a different custom-built cage before to compare this one to, I am very pleased.
Months later, the cage still looks like brand new, and Lola uses every single inch of her cage. I can’t say enough good things about this excellent quality cage as well as the wonderful customer service. I highly recommend Expandable Habitats!
[This entry has been imported, with some edits, from my previous blog.]