Operation All Natural
August 6, 2012 § 5 Comments
I’ve been spending a lot of time thinking about Sabrina lately and how I can keep her happy. She and I don’t have the best relationship– she is not at all tame– and thus it’s difficult for me to be there for her. She truly is a wild one, which got me to thinking that perhaps she’d really like a more wild, untamed setting in her cage. A while back I found a fantastic video with an incredible all natural setup for several linnies. You can view it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hlL169hnw8 (it’s not my video). I really think Sabrina would absolutely love something like this. Her favorite things to do are chew and destroy natural wood bark, as well as to shred naturals like palm and seagrass. She also loves fresh wheatgrass and leafy greens to destroy, so I think I’m going to give it a try.
I’ve been brainstorming all different sorts of things to add with plenty of help from my friends over at Avian Avenue. Some of the things I already have and some of I’ll need to purchase, but here’s some of what I’ve come up with so far:
- Plenty of all natural wood branches and perches in woods like grapevine, cageput, willow, cottonwood, sandblasted manzanita, ribbonwood, dragonwood, elm, eucalyptus, etc.
- Platform perches in flagstone as well as wood like birch, pine, willow, cork bark, etc.
- Possibly a cork bark round
- Natural wood bridges/ladders from which she can swing and climb
- A big grapevine wood swing with several branches to climb and play on
- Wheatgrass, barley grass, and sunflower grass plants
- Sisal or some other natural rope perches and boings and swings
- A hanging coconut cup or swing
- Lots of natural toys to shred and destroy
I think this really has potential to be an extra enriching environment. I have been trying to think of some sort of miniature climbing net as well, and then I thought maybe one of those climbing/activity walls that are made of those seagrass mats would work for in the cage? I could remove all of the toys that come with it and add some of my own. Might be worth a shot.
Anyway, this is my latest project, and I’ll probably be working on it for a while, but I think it’s going to be good. And more importantly, I think Sabrina will love it.